Wednesday, October 11

A small cry for help.

Hi.

I've been away.
You probably haven't noticed.
But if you have, you might be quietly demanding some sort of an explanation.

Truth be told, I've been hiding.
Hiding and reading.
Hiding and reading are fast becoming two of my favourite activities at the moment.
A few books I have read recently:
Yesman
Blink
A Year in the Merde


I'm not trying to offer a small helping of vague evidence to back my explanations of absense up; rather this is a small cry for help.

I'm looking for a good read.
Preferably something written by a Christian/Christian themes.
I'd like it to be original, well written and, if I may be a little greedy here- searingly witty.
I'm not sure that this book exists yet.
But if you know of anything that vaguely matches this description, please drop me a line.
And yes, I have tried "Blue Like Jazz." (Didn't enjoy it. Shoot me later.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick Hornby (a pome like you)

I recommend

High Fidelity.

A Long Way Down.

Douglas Coupland

A writer from Vancouver. Very gifted author. I'd recomend anything but heres a few...

J-Pod
Elenor rigby
Life after God
Girlfriend in a Coma

Shasaku Endo - Japanese Catholic Author

Wonderful Fool
Silence
The Samurai

(Silence and the Samurai are very intense. Wonderful fool is profound, but less intense, has more humour and easier to read).

Hitch Hikers books (if you haven't read them. Written by another pome)

Ron Grants (co creator of Red Dwarf and a pome)

Incompetence
(This is set in the near future in the United States of Europe, where beurocracy has reached ridiculous new heights.)

Screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis
(witty, profound and written by a pome)

I could go on. I'm not a big reader of 'Christian Books.' Though I do read them from time to time. I did read Blue like Jazz too. Not bad. I also read a Generous Orthodoxy by Mclaren.

10:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, you want Christian AND witty? Good luck! (wink) You might try Flannery O'Connor or even "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claibourne. Then again, I thought "Blue Like Jazz" was a good read. Alas!

Peace,
Jamie

2:18 pm  
Blogger Larph said...

x-ywamer - D Adams = genious. Screwtape letters was great and quite original, definetely something along those lines, perhaps a little more contemporary?

Copeland I have heard much of, so I think I'll be pursuing that direction soon, and Ive also ordered that japanese one you recommended earlier so that should be in the library soon enough.

Jamie - those two authors Ive never heard of, so Ill definetely have to look those up - cheers, and thanks for the new leads!

8:44 pm  
Blogger Emily Deu said...

Have you read "the great divorce" by C.S. Lewis? Very good!

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home