Wednesday, January 18

more:giving:thoughts


Thinking about trade/injustice issues again, I stumbled across a fascinating post written by the Chairman of my organisation.
It is comforting to know I am not alone in my frustration with our recent methodology relating to giving, poverty relief and the make poverty history campaign.

. . .

"Now for more than two generations we look back on relief
and development efforts that have been non-relational by nature,
working through large institutions and governments, and we find that it has by
and large been a failure. We shouldn’t really be surprised. So what
am I advocating -- that we all keep our money in our own pockets, and
continue our selfish existence? Of course not, but what I do want to advocate
is relational giving.

One of the great advantages of living in this era is that relationships can be established right across the globe. We travel and have plenty of means of staying in touch with people we meet. Nearly all of us know people in other parts of the world, and when it comes to the body of Christ we have this great global network of trust and relationships. As a Christian, I know Christians in Africa who can be trusted with money. I know Christians in South
Asia who have a good track record of stewarding resources well, who understand the principles of sustainable development. What I am saying is, when I give through relational networks I have great confidence that what I have given will be used for the purpose for which it’s intended."

. . .

Linsey's recent post was also very impassioned and interesting.

I personally would like to see more emphasis placed upon erradication of corruption, the importance of education, and safeguards on western countries plundering skilled/intellectual reserves within vulnerable populations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home